Tiny Hand

2012/04/09

Wave #2: Remixes

 Just like mashups combine 2 or more songs to create a nice intermix of ideas and sounds, remixes can take a song, add beats/sounds/vocals/etc and unleash an overwhelming experience. Sometimes there are songs which are, quite frankly, a bit blank and then turn into a favorite of yours as the remixed version. DJs have the gift of understanding a song's buildup; they divide the song into different parts, reorder them with extra bits and BAMbelangPOW! produce a better version of the original.Some say that remixes spoil a song by ruining its originality. That the DJs aren't really that creative, because they just use what's already there and just alter a few things [something which is also said about covers - one of the upcoming Wave-topics] ... The examples beneath will show just how wrong they are!! ;)

The following remixes have no particular order and represent - just as everything you see and read on this blog - my personal taste. You may like some of them, maybe even love them as much as I do, or hate them. Let's give it a try!

---------------------

I saw this one pop up at the top of the "popular" page of hypem.com before I ever heard of the original. Listened to it for the first time -> love!
Bon Iver - Skinny Love (Das Kapital Rerub)


The original might be very old (well, considering how fast the world of music is changing) and the remix isn't that current, either, but it still is one of my favorite remixes because of its funky charm ^^
Sam Sparrow - Black & Gold (Al Usher Remix)

And now a series of remixes made by RAC (http://rac.fm/) - a group of DJs who "strive for excellence and good taste" with their remixes. They. f*cking. pwn! xO
Honeythieves - Reminder (RAC Remix)

The Gossip - Heavy Cross (RAC Remix)

Peter Bjorn & John - Second Chance (RAC Remix)


Everyone who knows me in real life knows my addiction to Gotye's "Somebody That I Used To Know" - hence the original's mentioning in one of the first posts - and I never really found a remix that could do Gotye's version justice. Then I found M-phazes' remix of it and it really accentuates  the sounds used by Gotye. I might even consider it as good as the original. And that's a huge thing to say!
Gotye ft. Kimbra - Somebody That I Used To Know (M-phazes Remix)


This one I found with my mobile phone app - no, not the iphone kind, just a normal web-enabled phone. Gives a whole new twist to Franz Ferdinand's sound :)
Franz Ferdinand - No You Girls (Nôze Remix)


One of the best examples that show how a remix changes the whole dynamic of a song while still keeping its important sound-bits is this one. Off-beat -> Back-beat. GENIUS!
Lykke Li - Little Bit (Autoerotique Remix)


And now the last one for today. Being a fan of Rüfüs, I totally enjoy their remixes. This one is no exception. Please also check out the video to the song ;)
Elizabeth Rose - Stars Ago (Rüfüs Remix)

No comments:

Post a Comment